Demetrias

Demetrias

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Birthday!


Demetrias turned 11 years old last Friday, January 28. Life has been quite hectic which I know is not new but as such, this is the first I've been able to update. I was in Kiawah presenting at a conference so the day passed as any other for him. :) I however, have been reflecting on his last year of life. It has been a long one.
In March Demetrias ran into a stick or something creating a large cut by his eye which was in need of stitches, which brought the vet out, which led to the chronic uveitis discovery...
Last year was filled with: hand- walking, night turn outs, fly masks, A LOT of medicine, so many people helping to care for my horse, a lot of tears, learning to be an expert with a syringe, learning a lot about eye medicines, a trip to NC State, trailering, questions, questions and more questions, switching to a hackamore, being content at the walk, a second trip to NC State, leaving, trusting, longing, carrots, dialogue when riding, figuring out how to keep a horse out on a circle when you are his anchor, saying goodbye to ever jumping, new perspective, carrots, dialogue, TRUST.
I got on D's back today after a decent longing session to get some of his vinegar out. He made it through the longing w/out having a whinnying fit. On him the focus was a calm and rounded up neck at the walk. Haven't trotted under saddle for several weeks. :( I love my horse but I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm doing and this week, that's hard...
But, this week is nearly over.

No comments:

Post a Comment