Demetrias

Demetrias

Sunday, July 18, 2010

A different kind of waiting



Demetrias came home on the 13th of June and I headed to Chicago on the 16th for a teaching conference. By this time D was down to less dosages of all 3 meds and would be in good hands with the girls. I wasn't thrilled about leaving him but relieved to be leaving him at home and not at NC State. He was, of course fine and I returned home for a few days before I left again, this time headed to Ohio.
I was told to give him about a month off from riding and so all of my traveling happened at a good time since I wasn't going to be home consistently. So, I continued hanging out to give him medicine and in the mean time re-painted the poles for the ring-I wanted him to be able to see the contrast even if all we do for the next few months is ground poles.
I'm not really sure what all is in store for D and I. We'll probably continue to do more dressage than anything else for now.
So, we fell into a routine of medication, grazing and night turn out. Despite the amount of time off and the fact that he was still eating, pardon the expression, like a horse he had not put on a huge amount of weight. Don't get me wrong, he weighs 1180 pounds. What I mean is he hadn't gotten overly fat which I was grateful for but I realized the trip to NC State stressed him out more than I had figured. He's fine and ultimately not having to worry about that as we get him back into condition is a good thing. July was the time we would begin riding again. I was excited and freaked out all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment